Monday 23 February 2009

Bishop backs Yorkshire Post strikers

Bishop of Ripon and Leeds John Packer has expressed his support for the journalists at Yorkshire Post Newspapers who are taking a series of four day strike actions against compulsory redundancies.
The Bishop says he has written to Johnston Press's new chief executive John Fry and Leeds managing director Chris Green expressing his "dismay" at the job cuts.
In an e-mail message of support to the journalists, he said: “I am writing to express my support for all the journalists and staff on Yorkshire Post Newspapers. I have today written to John Fry and Chris Green, expressing my dismay at the decision to make 18 members of staff redundant.
“In my letter to them I have said that, from my own experience, the two titles are greatly valued in our region, and it is regretful that key skilled and experienced staff, including members of the photography team are threatened with the loss of their jobs. This can only be bad news for the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post.
“Having met, and been interviewed by a number of the journalists who have taken strike action, I know you would not have voted to do so without genuine and deeply held concerns and I have asked them to take your case seriously and meet to discuss your concerns.”
The journalists completed their first four day strike yesterday and the second is planned to start on Thursday.

No comments: