Thursday 3 December 2009

Maziar Bahari on jail in Iran


In an interview with the Canadian CTV News Channel, freed journalist Maziar Bahari has spoken about his ordeal during long periods of solitary confinement at Tehran's Evin prison after he was accused of being a "media spy".
Bahari, a Canadian-Iranian national who was a correspondent for Newsweek in Tehran, says he contemplated suicide.
"A couple of times I woke up and I looked at (my) glasses and I thought to myself, 'I can always just break the lens and slit my wrists with the shards,'" he said from Ottawa.
"But when I thought about it a little bit more, I thought, 'you know, I have so much to lose.' I thought about my family, I thought about my wife, my unborn child," he said.
"Then I thought, 'I should not be their executioner.' "
Bahari was freed in October after 118 days in jail.

No comments: